For most bodybuilders, creatine, whey protein, arginine, glutamine and branched chain amino acids are encompassed in their list of supplements. For other more supplement-savvy brutes, the list may also integrate supplements like carnitine, tribulus terrestris, carnosine and beta-ecdysterone. But did you know that the folate which is allocated to pregnant women to promote fetal development and melatonin that is prescribed to relieve insomnia can also support your mass building aspiration. Read on and discover the 10 supplements that you never deemed to be of any significance where your muscle developing aim was concerned.
Probably you have heard the bone-fortifying benefit of vitamin D from your mom. It is a common fact that it assists in augmenting absorption of calcium from supplements and foods. But did you know that muscle fibers possess vitamin D receptors and vitamin D is known to bolster and strengthen your muscles. According to research, there is a correlation between some vitamin D receptors and amplified leg and grip force because when vitamin D intermingles with these receptors it triggers genes that augment muscle enlargement and strength. Amongst the two types of vitamin D- vitamin D2 and D3, D3 is the more powerful.
- It is recommended to take 1000 IU of vitamin D3 once or twice a day daily to take the full advantage of the interaction of vitamin D with the muscle receptors.
It is a much known fact that B vitamin folate is crucial for expecting mothers. So is there a connection between the prenatal vitamin and bodybuilding? Definitely. its perfectly rational that a vitamin that can bolster fetal growth could also stimulate muscle fiber growth. Folate plays an important role in the manufacturing and maintenance of new cells. Muscle enlargement occurs when new satellite cells replace the old damaged ones. Folate is also important for the manufacturing of the DNA and the RNA. When you lift weights, the DNA is triggered in the muscles to intensify the muscle protein synthesis. Folate is also responsible for translating arginine to nitric oxide which can further foster muscle power and size. Folate can be found in its natural element in the foods while folic acid is synthesized form of folate integrated into supplements and fortified foods. Folate and folic acid both get translated into L-methylfolate in the body.
- Even though you get good results from taking 400-800 mcg of L-methylfolate 2-3 times a day, taking folic acid is also beneficial. If you are supplementing the diet with arginine or NO supplement then take these supplements at the same time when you take folic acid.
Although this supplement which is derived form the French maritime pine tree is usually taken to strengthen heart health, you should be familiar with it if you are taking any NO products. Arginine is translated to NO in the body which boosts muscle pumps, muscle force and development. But this translation process prerequisite the activation of enzyme nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and if the level if this enzyme is low, NO levels will automatically decline. Pycnogenol can enhance the activity of NOS thus magnifying the NO levels.
- It is suggested that you take 50-100mg of Pycnogenol alongside arginine supplements an hour or a half before a workout.
Theanine is usually found in the tea leaves and it improves zest and tang and stimulates mental and physical repose. This adapted form of glutamine suffuses the mind and body with calmness by enhancing the levels of inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain known as GABA. Taking the theanine supplements before going to bed can augment muscle growth by inducing deep sleep. GABA also intensifies the release of growth hormone (GH) from the pituitary gland.
- Swallow 50-200 mg of theanine an hour or half before bedtime to cause a spike in the GH levels which can result in the greater muscle growth.
Vitex Agnus Castus
Chaste berry which is a fruit derived from the chaste tree is usually taken in the supplement form by women to relieve PMS. But this female product can also help a man to chisel out his muscles. This supplement integrates agnosides which can decrease estrogen levels and magnify luteinizing hormone levels (LH). In men this can dramatically boost testosterone levels.
- Take 200-400 mg of Vitex Agnus Castus or chaste berry extract before bed. Take the supplements for 6-8 weeks then give a gap of 4 weeks before starting the cycle again.
This great sleep inducer is also good when it comes to boosting GH levels. It also renders antioxidant protection that can assist in muscle recovery.
- It is recommended to take 0.5-5 mg of melatonin an hour or half before workout.
This great Indian plant with its tuberous roots has been employed for centuries in the Ayurvedic medicine to treat arthritis, high cholesterol and diabetes. It contains effective saponins-stigmasterol and hecogenin. Stigmasterol’s structure resembles testosterone and it binds itself to specific receptors on the body which testosterone attaches itself to and so causes a similar effect to that of testosterone. Hecogenin is translated to compounds which resemble testosterone and so has a simulating effect to testosterone.
- It is suggested to take 200-400mg of Safed musli twice or thrice with meals and one of the doses should be eaten 30-60 min before a workout. Take this supplement for 6-8 weeks then leave a gap of 4 weeks before resuming the cycle.
Stinging Nettle Root
This nettle which is cultivated in South America is usually taken to allay the symptoms of enlarged prostrate and lower blood pressure. But guys’ trying to pack on muscle can benefit from this. This extract helps to augment testosterone levels and prevents it from binding to a carrier protein known as SHBG. While this carrier can keep the testosterone molecule in the blood for an elevated time period, it can avert its binding to muscle cell receptors. This extract can release the testosterone molecule in the bloodstream and this in turn galvanizes muscle growth.
- Take 100-500mg of stinging nettle root extract on an empty stomach 2-3 times daily.
This is a scientific term for oats. The avenocosides present in this extract assist in intensifying the liberation of LH in the brain which subsequently stimulates the testicles to manufacture more testosterone.
- Watch out for the products that have 10:1 ratio of Avena sativa extract in 100-300mg. it is recommended that you take one dose 2-3 times per day with one dose 30-60 minutes prior to a workout. Take this extract for 6-8 weeks, pausing for 4 weeks and then resuming the cycle again.
Royal jelly is manufactured in the heads of the worker bees and is given to the larvae and the queen bee to eat. Royal jelly is a powerhouse of essential nutrients amongst which B vitamins, vitamin A, C, D and E and a crucial unsaturated fatty acid are integrated. Royal jelly has been known to enhance stamina and decrease the exhaustion by diminishing the lactic acid accumulation. Royal jelly can prove to be a wonder supplement for bodybuilders as it can greatly reduce the feeling of exhaustions and prompt them to intensify their workout.
- It is recommended to take 1000mg of royal jelly half an hour before workout to decrease lactic acid buildup and increase endurance and resilience.