A recent study has found that working out intensely for just 2.5 minutes can cause calorie burn throughout the day at rate of an extra 200 calories’ worth.
In this latest study, 5 healthy men performed sprint interval training on a stationary bikes. Although the men didnt do any other exercise for the rest of the day, they ended up burning 200 more calories during the days they did the short bout of exercise than the days they didn’t exercise at all. It’s also good news for those of you who can never seem to fit a full workout into your day. Below are 5 intense exercises you can do anywhere for 2.5 minutes so you too can get that 200+ calorie afterburn!
Perform these exercises at maximum intensity; you can break them into 30-second or one-minute intervals to make it more manageable.
1. Jumping Jacks – This easy to do exercise will pump up your heart rate in no time.
2. Mountain climbers – This cardio move helps strengthen your leg and core muscles as well.
3. Burpees – Quickly moving from standing to squatting to a pushup position works all your muscles in this exercise.
4. Running Up Stairs – Running up and down the stairs at home or at your office. You’ll get the added bonus of a toned backside.
5. Walking Lunges – These lunges help you develop balance while strengthening your core and lower body. Do these briskly, but make sure your form stays correct to prevent knee or ankle strain.