Flesh-eating Bacteria From “Mud Run” Leaves Woman Blind In One Eye (Video)

mud-run (1)

A young Texas mom went blind in her eye after flesh-eating bacteria seeped its way into a cut during a “Mud Run” earlier this month in Dallas.

Brittany Williams has no insurance and, after a week week in the hospital, now owes more than $100,000 in medical bills — even as she faces more treatment to prevent the debilitating bacteria from spreading through her body.

“My eye started hurting, like maybe I’ve got mud or some debris in there,”Brittany Williams told KTVT-TV of the symptoms she had hours after the race. “When I opened my eye, it was just like white. The whole room was white.”

Doctors at the emergency room told Williams she had “several abrasions on her cornea and what looked like a chemical burn” and eventually sent her home, according to a Go Fund Me page raising donations for the family.

Some 24 hours later, “things took a turn for the worse” and she was hospitalized. Her cornea “just completely melted off of my eye,” she told KTVT of the flesh-eating bacteria.

Williams is now blind in her left eye and likely needs more antibiotics to prevent the bacteria from spreading throughout her bloodstream.

Despite working two jobs, Williams chose to opt out of her insurance and will have to pay her medical bills out of pocket.

via NY Daily News

Sharing is healthy!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Email
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
  • Pinterest