Learn how to bake one of actress Jennifer Espositos’ favorite gluten-free treats.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp apple sauce
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1/3 cup soy, rice, almond or hemp milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 425° degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients except blueberries and walnuts in large mixing bowl, and whisk together to remove any lumps.
- In separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients except milk, and mix with a standing mixer on medium speed until combined.
- While stirring dry ingredients, add milk slowly to bowl. Alternate between stirring and pouring milk, until all of it has been emptied into the bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and continue stirring in standing mixer until contents are evenly mixed. Fold nuts and blueberries into mixture.
- Line double-baking pan with parchment paper, and spoon out mixture with tablespoon to make 20 scones. Brush tops with maple syrup and bake for 18 to 23 minutes.
via Doctor Oz