Mothers Warning Over ‘Diet Pills’ After Daughter Dies

ad_166530146

A student died after taking tablets thought to be ‘diet pills’ she bought online, police say. Eloise Aimee Parry, a student at Glyndwr University, went to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital after taking the pills and falling ill, but the 21-year-old died on April 12.

Police have issued a warning after the death of the Families and Childhood Studies student. Eloise’s mum, Fiona Parry, has spoken out in memory of her daughter and has released a statement in support of this important message to the public.

‘Sunday started out cool and clear.

‘By lunchtime there was a brisk wind, blowing in strong gusts that suggested a storm might be coming. Overhead the skies were bright blue, almost cloudless and full of promise.

‘I didn’t know it at the time, but Ella had bought slimming tablets on the internet. A substance called DNP that is unsuitable for human consumption because of its toxicity.

‘She had taken even more of these “slimming tablets” than recommended on the pack and had no idea just how dangerous they really were.

‘How many of us have ever thought “if one tablet works, surely it won’t hurt to take one or two more?”

‘When she started to feel unwell, she drove herself to hospital and walked into A&E.

‘She explained what she had taken and there was no great panic as she was still completely lucid and with it.

‘At this point she still seemed to be okay. That all changed when the toxicity report came back and it was clear how dire her situation was.

‘The drug was in her system, there was no anti-dote, two tablets was a lethal dose – and she had taken eight.

‘As Eloise deteriorated, the staff in A&E did all they could to stabilise her.

‘As the drug kicked in and started to make her metabolism soar, they attempted to cool her down, but they were fighting an uphill battle.

‘She was literally burning up from within. When she stopped breathing, they put her on a ventilator and carried on fighting to save her.

‘When her hearted stopped they couldn’t revive her.

‘She had crashed. She had taken so much DNP that the consequences were inevitable. They never stood a chance of saving her. She burned and crashed.

‘Outside, the wind had stopped and it now raining gently.

‘She never intended to take her own life. She just never really understood how dangerous the tablets that she took were.

‘Most of us don’t believe that a slimming tablet could possibly kill us.

‘DNP is not a miracle slimming pill. It is a deadly toxin. It is similar to TNT in structure.

‘TNT is an explosive. DNP causes your metabolism to run at an explosive level, with potentially fatal consequences.’

Police are now investigating where Eloise purchased the pills, which cost around £70 for 100 capsules containing 200mg of DNP. Chief Inspector Jennifer Mattinson said: ‘We are undoubtedly concerned over the origin and sale of these pills and are working with partner agencies to establish where they were bought from and how they were advertised.

‘The coroner’s report will establish the exact cause of Eloise’s death but we urge the public to be incredibly careful when purchasing medicine or supplements over the internet.

‘Substances from unregistered websites could put your health at risk as they could be extremely harmful, out-of-date or fake.

‘An investigation is being carried out to find out where Eloise bought the pills and we ask anyone with any information that could help us to call 101.’

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) added: ‘We advise the public not to take any tablets or powders containing DNP, as it is an industrial chemical and not fit for human consumption. It can be extremely dangerous to human health.’

via Sky News

Sharing is healthy!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Delicious
  • Email
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
  • Pinterest

Comments

comments

Pinterest