- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 2 3 tbsp brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or honey – if honey is used, the recipe is no longer vegan*
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
*Note: to make this recipe sweetener free, remove the brown rice syrup completely and replace it with extra almond butter. If you don’t have a big sweet tooth.
- Combine almond butter, rice syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until drippy/liquidy stirring every minute or so. Be sure it doesn’t burn!
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour heated almond butter mixture into nuts and seeds bowl, and stir until all pieces are coated.
- Spoon mixture into large muffin liners or muffin tin [the mixture will be very clumpy and you will doubt that it will all hold together, but don’t worry… it will!], pressing down firmly on each one and flattening with hands.
- Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
Nutrition stats [1 granola cake]: calories 189; fat 15g [all good fats!]; saturated fat 5g; carbohydrates 13g; dietary fiber 2g; sugars 5g; protein 4g
Makes 12 cakes.