This quick and healthy vegetarian tartine recipe can be made in under 10 minutes.
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 slices good country bread (or make this No-Knead Bread in advance), toasted
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- grated pecorino, optional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, just a bit of the liquid poured out
1.In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the shallot and garlic in the oil until translucent and fragrant (about 2 minutes). Stir in the red pepper flakes. Add the chard to the skillet, tossing to coat.
2.Turn the heat up and add the white wine, bringing it quickly to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chard is wilted (about 4 minutes).
3.Add the chickpeas and most of their liquid to keep the mixture moist. Continue to cook until the chard is tender, another minute or so. Season with salt and red pepper to taste.
4.To serve as an easy meal, slather each piece of toast with 2 tablespoons of ricotta. Top each with a big portion of the chard and chickpea mixture, and garnish with grated pecorino cheese.
10.5 g fat
2.5 g saturated fat
54 g carbs
14 g fiber
17 g protein
3.8 mg iron
220 mg calcium
499 mg sodium