10 servings, 1 cup each
- 2 large heads garlic
- 3 pounds medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled (see Tip)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped olives
- 1 4-ounce jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens, plus more for garnish
- Paprika, for garnish
Preparation- Prep Time: 1 1/4 hours
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Rub off excess papery skin from the garlic heads without separating cloves. Slice the tips off each head, exposing the cloves. Place garlic heads on a square of aluminum foil, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon water and pinch edges of foil together to make a package. Roast until garlic flesh is very soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Unwrap garlic and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until potatoes are tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain well; transfer to a large bowl. Toss gently with the vinegar and let cool.
- When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the pulp into a food processor or blender. Add mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; blend until smooth.
- Add the dressing to the potatoes and toss to coat. Finely chop 3 eggs and add to the potatoes along with the celery, olives, pimientos, parsley and chopped chives (or scallion greens). Stir gently to mix. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the paprika. Slice the remaining egg and arrange the slices decoratively on top. Garnish with more chives and/or parsley sprigs.
Total Time: 2 hours
- TIP: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 223 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 77 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 751 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value), Potassium (21% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch,1 vegetable,1 1/2 fat