in Featured / on July 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm /
It’s summertime! The extended daylight and warm weather of summer offers a variety of activities to compliment your active lifestyle. Here are six tips to ensure you get the most out of fitness and fun this summer.
- Stay hydrated – Many of you will end up dehydrated this summer without even knowing it, since you can already be dehydrated before you feel thirsty. As your body perspires to keep cool, it requires that you replenish the H2O that your body desperately needs to survive. Remember that when you are enjoying your favorite water sports and activities your body continues to perspire even when you are surrounded by water. So don’t forget to bring plenty of water or your favorite sports drink (particularly low-calorie ones), and take short breaks to rehydrate.
- Use Sunscreen – Whether you are running or playing a sport outside or just working on your summertime tan, it is important that you protect yourself from the sun. Dr. Sean Daneshmand, M.D. recommends liberally applying a sunblock that is at least SPF 15 and protects against both UVA and UVB rays—reapply often.
- It’s about time – On the hottest days this summer the best way to beat the heat is to train early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun is at its lowest position in the sky. This way you can train with the daylight and get some relief by avoiding the times when the temperatures are hottest.
- Easy does it – It makes sense that the more extreme the temperatures are outside, the greater the impact is on your body. The hottest day of the summer may not be the best time for you to challenge your best 5K time. Instead, be proud of the fact that rain or, in this case a scorching amount of sunshine, you are still going to get your training in and make it a moderate intensity day. Of course there is another option—the climate controlled oasis of an LA Fitness club.
- Go to the Gym – It’s hard to resist being outside on every sunny day of summer. But when temperatures are on the rise, take an hour to utilize your LA Fitness membership, and head back outside for some leisure fun. You can keep your intensity level up on the treadmill or other cardio equipment, and continue cross training by strengthening your core and major muscle groups. This way you get the most out of gym membership and the summer sun.
- Keep your cool – Cool down for an extra five or ten minutes when you finish training on hot day, and definitely don’t skip your cool down to save a little bit of time. Allow a little extra time for your body to return to its natural state while you sip on some refreshing H2O.
via LA Fitness