Curl up Season is here! And curling up with a nice warm beverage and a side of these Snickerdoodles brings out anyone’s smile on a chilly night!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (just under level)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar or sucanat or evaporated cane juice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1/4 cup “butter” of choice, such as Earth Balance, (less fat kind of butter)
Preheat oven to 330 F. Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. In a separate bowl, melt the butter of choice, then stir in vanilla and milk. Pour dry into wet and mix again. Form balls. For true snickerdoodles, roll each ball in a mix of cinnamon and sugar (either equal parts OR two parts sugar to one part cinnamon, depending on how cinnamon-y you want your cookies). If you want soft cookies, you’ll need to get the balls very cold. (So roll the balls, cover in the cinnamon-sugar, then fridge until cold.) Cook for 9-10 minutes. They’ll look way underdone when you take them out, but once it cools and gets to harden a little, it will be nice and soft to eat. Top it off with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar combo once out of the oven for something extra, if you wish. Enjoy!