Looking to build a bigger chest, wide shoulders and lats, this workout will give you the V-taper you’re looking for. Using these 8 exercises, this 45 minute workout targets your chest and lats, while also building up some boulder shoulders.The workout combines weights and bodyweight exercises which can be swapped out to suit your needs and available equipment. The key to making gains, is by using compound movements to engage all 3 target muscle groups, while also engaging your arms, giving you a complete total upper body workout.
Warm up for about 5-10 minutes (jumping jacks, power skips or jump rope), then stretch the target muscle groups. The exercises that require equipment should be done first, using a weight that is about 70-80% of your 1 rep max. Then complete the workout using the bodyweight exercises. The reason for this is to make sure you are not exhausted during the weighted exercises and which would begin to affect your form on the heavier lifts.
- Perform all sets of each exercise before moving to the next one.
- Rest 30 seconds between sets and 90 seconds between exercises.
- Perform 10-12 reps of each exercise for 2 sets
- The 3rd set should be performed to near failure.
- Perform the bodyweight exercises by completing as many reps as possible in under 1 minute while maintaining proper form.
Aim to increase the weight for each equipment exercise by 5-10% each week and the duration of the bodyweight exercises by 15-30 seconds each week.
Barbell Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
Forward / Front Dumbbell Raise