Check out this healthy eggplant cannelloni recipe using eggplant instead of pasta shells.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 jars (12 oz each) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
- 2 medium eggplants, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 4 kalamata olives, pitted and minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook shallots and garlic until soft, about 1 minute. Reduce heat. Cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add peppers and juice; bring to a boil. Lower heat; simmer until peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Cool. Puree in a blender. Pour into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
Coat eggplants with cooking spray and broil on a baking sheet until golden on both sides, about 15 minutes. Heat oven to 400˚.
Mash cheese, olives, capers and 1 tbsp of the parsley in a bowl. Place 1 tbsp of filling at the end of each eggplant slice; roll up. Lay seam side down in dish. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Top with remaining 1 tbsp parsley.
259 calories per serving, 10.7 g fat (4.7 g saturated), 32 g carbs, 10.8 g fiber, 10.5 g protein