Tomatoes’ strong, savory flavor can help satisfy us sooner, so we may eat less without trying. Added almonds to up the slim-down factor: Dieters who ate the nuts daily lost 56 percent more fat than those who didn’t, a study from Loma Linda University finds; the nuts’ fiber may prevent fat absorption.
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh parsley
- 12 sun-dried tomato halves
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 lb smoked mozzarella, diced
- 1/2 lb whole-wheat penne
- In a small pan over medium heat, toast almonds until golden brown, 5 minutes. In a food processor, pulse almonds, parsley, tomatoes, garlic and oil until slightly chunky. Pour into a bowl; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add mozzarella; toss to combine. Cook pasta as directed on package; drain and toss immediately with pesto.
401 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated), 49 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein